Purpose: To guide the Library’s use of social media in a manner consistent with the Board’s mission, vision and values and social media’s inherent characteristics.
1.1. Social media: Any Web application, site or account created and maintained by Camrose Public Library which includes the capacity for public sharing, commentary, discussion and contribution.
2. The Library will use social media in support of the following objectives:
2.1. To provide information on Library services, programs and activities;
2.2. To highlight community events, activities, resources and issues;
2.3. To provide a simple method for customers to provide feedback on Library services and to request assistance;
2.4. To collect information on community needs and preferences;
2.5. To build and sustain community.
3. The Library will configure social media settings to best meet the objectives defined in the policy.
4. The Library reserves the right to delete, remove, or not accept, any user submitted content that the Library believes, in its discretion, is objectionable or that:
4.1. may be unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or discriminatory;
4.2. impersonates any person or entity, or falsely states or otherwise misrepresents an affiliation with a person or organization;
4.3. may infringe intellectual property rights including copyright;
4.4. is personally disrespectful of another individual;
4.5. includes personal information published without the consent of the person to whom the information relates;
4.6. is unrelated to the content of the social media channel;
4.7. links to material that is not directly related to the discussion on the relevant channel;
4.8. is commercial promotion or spam;
4.9. is not in keeping with the safe and welcoming environment of the Library.
5. The Library reserves the right to ban or block individuals from social media posting or access where there is repeated posting of objectionable content or where the social media interface and functionality makes blocking the effective way of dealing with objectionable posts.
6. The Library does not accept any responsibility for any content appearing on its online and social media channels that does not originate from staff members, Board members or authorized external contributors.
7. Only staff members authorized by the Library Director may post to Library social media channels. The Board may post via instruction to the Director.
8. Any post to social media representing the Library will be made from a Library account. No staff or Board member will claim to represent the Library when posting from a personal account.
9. Postings, comments and all online content posted by staff members to Library social media accounts shall reflect the mission, vision and values of the Library.
10. Social media content created by staff members as part of their employment responsibilities is the property of the Library and not the employee.
Approval Date: September 2019
Revision/Review Date: September 2022
Approval Signature: Original signed by Board Chair: Elizabeth Luck