Thank you for your interest in the Olds Municipal Library Board. All meetings are open to the public. Feel free to join us in person or via zoom. If you are looking to join our next meeting via zoom you can find the links below. Public participants are observers only and cannot vote or participate in decision discussions. However, if you would like to speak to the board you can email the library manager to arrange a delegation.
Join a Meeting:
Join our Regular Board Meeting in person or via the link below. All board meetings are open to the public. If you wish to speak, please contact Lesley Moody, Library Manger or Shawna Cevraini, Chair in advance. (January 18, February 15, April 19, May 17, June 21, September 20, October 18, November 15)
Click here to join regular meeting
Olds Municipal Library is governed by appointed trustees from the Town of Olds. Library board meetings are open to the public.
There are 10 spots available on the library board.
- Shawna C, Chair
- Delin S, Vice Chair
- Curtis C, Treasurer
- Harvey W, Town of Olds Rep
- Jennifer L, County of Mountain View Rep
- Jillian T, Secretary
- Jennifer T
- Stephanie S
- Meghan U
Committees and Subcommittees
Personnel: Shawna (Lead), Vacant, Delin
Community Relations: Shawna, Jillian, Stephanie, Jennifer T.
Finance: Curtis (Lead), Shawna
Safety: Shawna, Curtis
Thinking about joining the Library Board?
Read more below or take a look at our printable information package!
You may also be interested in the following information about the board and being a board member. To reach out, speak to our Library Manager, Lesley Moody at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Board has three major roles:
- The Board creates a Strategic Plan of Service that guides the operations of the library and assists in planning programs and activities prepared by library staff.
- The Board measures the results of the plan and reports on those results.
(Examples: participates in strategic planning workshops and evaluates strategic plans on a regular basis)
- The Board ensures that the library is managed but does not manage the library.
- The Board demonstrates accountability to the funding Councils.
- The Board hires and evaluates a library manager.
(Examples: prepares annual budget for town council approval and participates in presentations to local and provincial elected officials)
- The Board acts as a bridge between the community and the library.
- The Board promotes the library to the community and encourages everyone to use its collections, programs and services.
(Examples: attends library functions and participates in advertising campaigns to further the library profile in the community)
The board sends one member a year to the Parkland Regional Library conference in Jasper. The conference is always the last weekend (Thursday - Sunday) in April. This is a great opportunity for new board members to get a large picture of libraries in Alberta and take advantage of a professional development opportunity.
How much commitment do I need to make?
The library board meets once a month on the third Wednesday of every month at 6:30 pm. There are also various subcommittees of the board including personnel, finance, safety, and fundraising. Each member of the board is a member of at least one committee. Finally, there are three executive positions on the board including Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. These positions are up for nominations and renewal on a yearly basis.
Other opportunities include:
- Parkland Regional Library offers board training workshops. These are a great opportunity for board members to learn what their roles and responsibilities are. It is suggested that each board member attend one of these workshops during their term.
- The Parkland Regional Library holds an annual conference each year. This is yet another opportunity for professional development.
- The Alberta Library Trustee Association makes available a wide range of learning materials for board members who wish to do some training on their own. You can feel free to check out this website to find out more about library boards in general.
How do I join?
Town Council makes citizen appointments to agencies, boards and commissions, including Olds Public Library Board. All you need to do is download the application form and drop it off or email it to the town of Olds attention CAO and Council Assistant.