The Library Clerk is responsible to the Board and will organize and supervise all aspects of the operation of the library. He/She will work with the Board and volunteers to achieve the goals and objectives of the Library.
Qualifications for Position:
- a) able to deal courteously and effectively with the public
- b) enjoy working with children
- c) able to work without supervision
- d) have basic knowledge of library system, books
- e) basic computer knowledge
- a) to work in the library during library open hours and additional administration hours as required.
- b) Resignation will be submitted, in writing. In line with current Alberta Labour regulations
- c) Any new library clerk will be required to work a 3-month probationary
Direct Library Activities:
- a) shelve, and select books and materials (see policy #16)
- b) to submit a monthly newsletter to local newspapers
- c) to collect and sort mail, informing Chairperson of anything requiring
- immediate attention.
- d) To process inter-library loans through Parkland Regional Library
- e) To train and organize volunteers for library duties so that the library
- runs smoothly and fulfills its specified opening hours.
- f) To weed books (and replace those which are popular) in a state of
- g) To purchase new books as required
- h) To organize an inventory once a year
- l) To record monthly circulation and annual statistics, memberships
- j) To train patrons to order books on-line
- a) to help patrons in their search for special library materials
- b) to organize and supervise children’s summer program
- c) to work with the STEP student in the summer.
- d) knowing and implementing FOIP regulations.
- a) The Board shall establish all personnel policies in accordance with
- the Alberta Employment Standards.
- b) The Board shall conduct a performance appraisal on the library
- clerk once a year on the anniversary date of employment.
Maintenance of the Library:
- a) Keep the library clean and tidy at all times.
- b) insure the library is safe i.e. snow removed, rugs in tact, etc.
- c) Inform the Board of maintenance problems.
- a) to maintain and reconcile petty cash records and submit monthly
- statements for payment.
- b) to attend workshops relating to library activities as approved by the Board
- c) to submit an Annual Report at the Annual General Meeting
- d) to record income (fines, etc.) and forward to treasurer on a timely basis