Unattended Children in the Library Policy
- Children under the age of 10 should not be left unattended in the Library
- No child under the age of 10 should be left in the care of another child under the age of 12 in the Library
- Disruptive children age 10 and over will be asked to leave the building.
- If a child under the age of 10 is left unattended in the Library, and is in need of adult assistance at closing time, staff shall attempt to contact the parent/guardian of the child to come and pick up the child.
- If no guardian can be located, the RCMP will be called to pick up the child.
- A staff member will remain with the child until the RCMP arrives.
- A note, including the RCMP’s address and phone number, shall be placed on the library front and back doors of the building stating that the RCMP retrieved an unattended child. The name of the child shall not appear on the note.
- Staff and volunteers shall not leave the library with the child.
- Neither staff nor volunteers will deliver a child home, regardless of whether or not they have consent of the child’s parent or guardian.